Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » THE HOLLYOAKS FORUM » HOLLYOAKS - FAN FICTION

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:11 am 
Out of date stock
Out of date stock

I have posted this on another forum previously so if you have read it before I apologise. If not please feel free to read and comment.

Part One
It had been four long months, during which time a lot had changed in the McQueen household. There had been two weddings, one divorce, one miscarriage, one termination, one new arrival and six new friends made, but not a word from that Dean boy in Dublin. John-Paul had written sixty letters, over ninety-two e-mails and one hundred text messages, but actually managed to send a total of zero. But why should he? He hadn’t been the one in the wrong. Craig had been messing him and Sarah about for months. He may have been the one to leave the airport, but he had had to do what was right. Chester and more significantly Hollyoaks village was his home, Craig Dean was destined for Ireland and Trinity University.

As he lay on his bed in the room which had for so long had been his and Craig’s hideaway from the world the conversation from the airport replayed in his mind.
“Kiss me Craig”, that is all he had asked, but in that moment from the look in Craig’s eyes complete recognition hit him “You don’t know who you are… It’s not that you don’t want to it is that you can’t.”

Four months later and John-Paul was still beating himself up inside. Should he have left? Why didn’t he just give him a chance to prove him wrong? After all he had made it this far, he had chosen him, or so he said. For weeks he had refused to leave his pit, choosing to spend his days re-reading his old texts from Craig and crying over the photographs of them together he had stashed in a shoe box under his bed. He ventured out for food and drink only when he knew the McQueen clan were tucked up in bed fast asleep or out on the town enjoying themselves getting thoroughly wasted. His friends had all but given up on him, having called daily to see him to hear the same response from his mum “He is still in his room if you want to try him?” However, having returned from a two week romantic holiday in Spain with her boyfriend Justin Burton, Katie Fox decided enough was enough. John-Paul needed a kick up the backside and she was just the girl to do it.

Having knocked on the front door to be greeted by Myra who seemed to have the dismissal speech on tap Katie barged her way upstairs her arms loaded with gifts and without knocking walked into John-Paul’s room. Instantly the smile dropped from her face.
“What the hell are you doing in here? Have you seen daylight since I left?”
“Of course. Oh and hello to you. Did you have a good holiday?”
“I did, but never mind that.”

Katie dropped the gifts she had spent a whole afternoon searching out for her best-friend onto the floor, turned off the compilation CD Craig had made him for his 18th birthday and snatched his mobile from his hands, as he had obviously spent most of the day in bed re-reading his old messages and crying.

“OY! Give me that back!”
“No way. Have you seen yourself lately? Looked in a mirror or even thought of taking a bath.”
“I’ve just been resting. I am not well.”
“Not well? John-Paul he has gone. Besides everyone is worried about you. So, I am here to sort you out.”
“Thanks Katie, but no thanks I don’t want…”
“We are going into town on a major shopping spree you must have Christmas money to spend, I know I have. Then we are going out to The Dog for a few drinks and then if we are still up for it later we can go to The Loft. No excuses.”
“I said NO! I don’t want to go out and I don’t want to be cheered up. Just leave me alone please.”
“I won’t. Do you have any idea what day it is?”
John-Paul looked at her thoroughly confused. Did she think he had completely lost it?
“It’s Saturday.”
“Okay. What date?”
Now he was stumped having stayed in bed he hadn’t seen anything like a newspaper or even the television magazine with the date on.
“Erm… look if it is your birthday or something I am really sorry I don’t have a great memory at the best of times, so you know…”

Katie was shocked into a deafening silence. He actually didn’t have a clue.
“Oh My God. Please tell me you are joking?”
“What? Why?”
“It is New Years Eve.”
“Oh already? Well you have fun tonight and a few drinks for me. I’ll call you tomorrow and see if you have survived.”
“John-Paul you need to get out. Come for a few drinks and stay for the countdown.”
“Not tonight Katie. I don’t have anything to celebrate and what happens if Sarah is there?”
“She will be if she has any sense. You both need to move on to bigger and better things. You are starting with our shopping trip. You have half an hour to be in your living room or you are not getting this phone back and that is a promise. So, hurry.”

John-Paul dragged himself into the bathroom and painstakingly slowly undressed, then he stepped into the already running water, one of his sisters was obviously planning to sneak a late shower. The water was ice cold, but sharing a house with six women meant this was nothing new. As he washed away the weeks of dirt and grime he had accumulated he also felt his physical and mental aches and pains flow off him down the plug hole.

Felling slightly more refreshed John-Paul wrapped a towel round his waist and headed back to his bedroom to get dressed, which in the now cold light of day seemed less of a sanctuary and more of a pig sty. Ten minuets later and he collided with his sister Mercedes on the landing on his way downstairs to rescue Katie from his mother’s awkward questioning.

“My god I am seeing things. The monster has left its pit!”
“Oh ha ha very funny I will see you later. But just in case you were thinking of taking a shower, the water is freezing.”
“You little toe rag. Mum he’s used all the water and I have to be at work in an hour!”
For the first time in months a smile crept across the features of John-Paul McQueen and he felt relaxed.
“Katie, come on lets go, we have money to spend!”
“Now that’s what I’m talking about. Bye Mrs McQueen.”
“Bye love. See you later our John-Paul and have fun.”
“I will. Love you.”

Part Two
Meanwhile not too far away, in Liverpool airport to be exact there sat a very nervous but determined brown-haired boy with the most gorgeous chocolate brown eyes. Craig Dean was home and he knew exactly what he wanted, he just hoped that the love of his life, his blonde-haired blue eyed DJ still wanted him. Craig had hated everything about his last four months in Dublin, the flat was just a memory of what he had missed out on and his course wasn’t exactly everything he had hoped it would be, but still there had been something and he knew full well it was cowardice stopping him from returning home even at Christmas, despite his mothers numerous calls begging him to visit, ensuring him he was missed and that in the end John-Paul would come around, after all Myra said he was miserable and hadn’t left his room in weeks, something which despite hurting Craig gave him a glimmer of hope. He had called a taxi more or less straight away as his feet touched the airport carpet, he hadn’t wanted to change his mind and book a room in a local hotel, so he didn’t give himself the chance. Eventually the call he had been waiting for came through on his mobile, his hands were shaking that much that it took him more than a few seconds to ID the number and comprehend the taxi had arrived.
“Sorry. The Dog… Dog in the Pond please. Hollyoaks village, Chester.”

Craig arrived and dragging his case thought it best to get the excitement and emotions over with and so marched through the pubs open front door. It was busy, but what was he expecting for a weekend evening and New Years Eve at that. He pushed his way to the bar and came face to face with his step-farther Jack who had to do a double take to register the boy standing before him, tears glistening in his eyes, before leaning over the bar and grabbing him into a bear hug.
“Craig, son. How are you? I’m so glad you’re back and your mother will be too. She’s upstairs babysitting Charlie with Steph, just head up.”
“I will. Thanks Jack. I will see you later. Can I have a hand with this though? I’m not great on stairs.”
“Sure Darren’s in the back I’ll give him a call. You head on up.”
“Cheers Jack.”

The door to the flat was open and Craig was able to enjoy a few seconds of watching his mum and sister laying on the couch watching the television undisturbed, before Darren arrived behind him in the doorway lugging his case.
“So, where do you want this then fairy? I am so glad your home. Give me a hug.”
“My room would be a plan Darren and don’t call me that.”
“Sorry old habits and all that. Frankie, your baby’s home!”
“And don’t call me that!”
Frankie’s head spun round so fast Craig thought it was going to shoot off.
“Craig? Is it really you? You actually came back I don’t believe it. How long for? Oh I’ve missed you.”
“Calm down mum. I am staying for a few weeks and then I have to get back to uni. I’ve missed you all too though. What’s for tea anyway?”
“You’ve not changed, baby bro. You come straight here?”
“Yeah I have to drop my case off, and then I fancied a tour of the village.”
“Let’s guess starting with a tour of the McQueen’s?”
“I guess.”
“You haven’t changed at all then, fairy!”
“Darren…”
“Sorry. I mean Craig.”
“You don’t want to go to the McQueen’s yet anyway, what you need to do is stay here. John-Paul is out shopping with Katie Fox for tonight and their first stop is in here, and then they are going to The Loft. You should meet them there.”
“How do you know this then mum?”
“Myra and I have become the best of buddies since you two mucked up, so we are just doing our best to stay in contact and sort you out.”
“I love you. Thank you. I just hope he is in the mood for sorting things out.”

Part Three
To John-Paul’s amazement and it has to be said to Katie’s too he really enjoyed the shopping trip. They went in every shop on Chester high street, before going to Pizza Hut for their lunch and Starbucks for a coffee, then returning to the places they saw the best outfits originally. John-Paul had insisted he was only going to window shop, but after waiting in Selfridge’s for over an hour and a half for Katie to leave empty handed he felt he deserved a treat and he had found a tight black shirt and if it was possible an even tighter pair of jeans which he had particularly liked and Katie said he looked hot in.

They arrived back at the McQueen residence at four o’clock and had a mini-fashion show, parading around John-Paul’s lounge in their new outfits so they could decide what they planned to wear on their night out. John-Paul opting for the simple life decided on his new purchases, but Katie happened to have more than one set, so her decision took that little bit longer, but in the end at roughly six o’clock they both decided that with it being new year she should go all out and wear the silver tunic, black leggings and silver stilettos with matching hoop earrings and glittery handbag she had managed to buy for a bargain of seventy-five pounds in Selfridges, where they had directly returned to after their lunch break.

“Right, Mr McQueen I better go and check my lovely boyfriend has sorted his clothes for tonight.”
“You tell him what to wear? Ahhh how sweet you’re like an old married couple.”
“It’s nothing like that. I just can’t have him embarrassing me now, can I?”
“I guess not. You always look stunning. So I will see you at Il Nosh at eight and we will all walk to The Dog together. You know what I actually quite fancy a night at The Loft; we will go there after if that is still okay with you?”
“Sure it is. I knew you would come round to the idea. It’s the power of retail therapy it sorts everything.”
“It really does. You better go I only have two hours to get myself sorted.”

Part Four
As Katie walked back towards her house her mobile started to ring, so she delved in her pocket for it, but as she looked at the screen the ID flashed private number. She answered it thinking it was probably just Justin using the work’s phone, calling to say he was running late, but would be home as soon as he could but could she get his suit ready, but when she answered the voice she heard was not one she recognised.

“Hello….erm hi is this Katie Fox?”
“It is. Who’s that?”
“Well you don’t know me, but I am guessing you will know my name, it’s Craig Dean.”
“I’ve heard about you from John-Paul obviously, but he said you were in Ireland at Trinity. How’s that going?”
“Trinity is great, but I’m not at home, I mean in Ireland at the moment. I am back home though, here at The Dog in Chester.”
“You’re at the pub. How did you get my number?”
“Myra passed it on, she went through JP’s mobile and yes I am and I know you are coming here later I just wanted you to know I was back, but please don’t change your plans? I really need to see him Katie.”
“I’m sure you do, but from what I have heard you messed him and Sarah round royally for months and I promised him tonight was going to be about moving on.”
“But we were I mean are perfect for each other. It has just taken me this long to see sense. Please. I love him and I don’t care who knows anymore. You have to believe me this is a big step for me.”
“Okay, just because it is new year and he has been so miserable since you left. We will be at the pub for quarter past eight ish stay for one or two rounds of drinks and then we are heading over to The Loft for ten ish. For goodness sake don’t cause problems in The Dog meet us in The Loft. I will text you when we have left, leave it half an hour and then meet us there.”
“Thank you. You have no idea what this means to me.”
“I just hope this works for you Craig.”
“So do I.”
“And just so you know, if you do get him and you hurt him again in any way then you can add me to that list of people who want to hurt you okay?”
“I won’t Katie I promise. Bye and thank you again.”

Part Five
Katie arrived back at the flat a bit later than planned, after the phone conversation she seemed to be walking around in a happy daze and she only popped into reality when she arrived at the flat to find Justin and Warren stood waiting for her in the hallway all suited and booted, with Louise rushing around in a towel and slippers moaning loudly about the lack of a female influence to help her decide what to wear.

“Guys you look gorgeous. What’s up with Lou?”
“Well she has been getting ready for hours and she is still in a towel. What does that tell you?”
“Warren why didn’t you just tell her she looks sexy in whatever she wears but you like the look of the red wrap dress she bought, because she had planned to wear that? God men.”
“I well…I tried, but she isn’t listening.”
“Lou I’m here. You want to get ready with me?”
“Oh Katie thank God I am in such a mess I have no idea what I want to wear and I have no idea where all my best make up is, what do I do?”
“First of all relax it isn’t a crisis. That wrap dress you got the other day wear that with your black heels and your gold hoop earrings to accessorise. I am dressing everyone tonight it is a good job I know what I am doing. I am going to hop in the bath, I won’t be long.”
“What are you wearing babe?”
“Ahh now that would spoil the surprise!”

Part Six
Eight o’clock arrived and as John-Paul expected he was nowhere near ready, as he had somehow fallen asleep in front of the television after Katie left. He woke up with a start and he checked his watch. It was half-past seven and one of his sisters was typically in the bathroom.

“Come on I need a quick shower, I am going to The Dog in a bit.”
“Tough you did it to me this afternoon and I was working!”
“Is that you Mercy? Please get a move on.”
“Keep your hair on I’m nearly done anyway.”

For the second time that day John-Paul had a freezing cold shower, but he only planned it to be quick anyway. Once he had got out he called Katie to explain that he would probably be a little late, but would text her when he was on his way, so they should just head to the pub and he would meet them there. He put on his new outfit and the old suede shoes he had bought for the dance off, God that seemed so long ago. It brought back great memories though, his and Craig’s first kiss. He looked at himself in the mirror and a wave of sadness overtook him. He was missing Craig. Who was he kidding, he just couldn’t hide it anymore, he had ended the old year without him and he was going to start the new one in the same way. Tears fell from his eyes and he collapsed onto the edge of his bed, his head in his arms.

Mercede’s happened to be walking down the landing and she heard bed springs and then the obvious sound of crying. She didn’t want to intrude, but it was New Year and she had no doubt what or rather who was having this effect on her baby brother. Unlike Jacqui she wasn’t great at giving advice and it could hardly be suggested she is sensitive, but the one thing Mercede’s had in abundance was strength and family loyalty. She knocked on John-Paul’s door before entering, something she wouldn’t usually do.

“Go away.”
“John-Paul…”
“I said go away Mercy. Just leave me alone.”
“No I won’t. I know what’s wrong, but you have been doing so well today, what has changed?”
“It was all an act. I miss him so much, but Katie…Katie wouldn’t leave and she was right I needed to get out, but I can’t move on. I love him.”
“Then the answer is simple isn’t it? Don’t move on. If you love him and want to be with him you will just have to wait for him to come to his senses or don’t tell mum or anyone I said this, but you could just take a last minuet holiday to Dublin. Frankie would happily tell you where he is.”
“You think so?”
“I know so. She has realised how good you actually are for her little boy. In fact she gave me his address just earlier today. But forget that for now, what you need to do is dry your eyes and head out to The Dog, have some fun our John-Paul it is New Year after all.”
“Mercy, thanks. You have never made such sense.”
“I know take advantage it only happens every so often. Go I don’t want to see you till tomorrow and I mean late on.”

Part Seven
John-Paul arrived at The Dog, it was heaving, but he found Katie and Justin sat at their usual table with Dannie Valentine and Hannah, all the girls looked fantastic and the boys didn’t scrub up half bad either.

“I know I’m late before you say anything Katie.”
“Late! We have been here for an hour.”
“Well let’s have one more dink and be on our way then.”
“I guess it’s my round. What we having guys and girls?”

John-Paul squeezed his way through the crowd towards the bar repeating the drinks list over and over in his head. Unconsciously he looked towards the door on the left that led up to the flat one he had entered and exited many a time and he had to blink and check again, he was sure he had seen a face he recognised, well more than recognised the one he was longing to see. Maybe that was it, he had just imagined seeing Craig after all he was who he had been thinking of at the time. Meanwhile Craig had been watching the bar hoping against hope he would catch a glimpse of John-Paul, without being spotted by him, but the beauty of the boy had mesmerized him to the point he had forgotten to hide as John-Paul looked at the flat door more out of hope than expectation, just as he ducked behind the door, his heart beating as though it were trying to escape his chest.

“Right that’s it people, off to The Loft.”
“Are you coming Han? Danny?”
“Yeah let’s make a night of it.”
“Sure why not? It sounds like a plan.”
“You ready John-Paul?”

John-Paul had been sat in silence smiling and nodding at appropriate points as though he had been listening to their conversations, but most of it had gone over his head. He was stuck on thoughts of Craig. He was convinced that had been him.

“Hello earth to John-Paul lets go.”
“Come on mate you are away with the fairies. No offence meant.”
“None taken. Let’s get going. I want to dance.”
“Oh hang on I’m just going to nip to the loo. You guys make a head start.”

Only when she was sure the others were clear of the door did Katie take the detour she had intended. A boy whom she assumed to be Craig, since she knew Darren and Jake and he was definitely a Dean was sat on the middle of the stairs leading up to the flat, he looked as though he had turned to stone a look of absolute shock across his face.

“Hey, you are Craig I take it? You are as cute as he says; I definitely get it about your eyes anyway.”
“Yeah I am Craig. He talks about me? I am guessing you must be Katie since I saw you with Justin Burton and John-Paul.”
“Yeah he does all the time and I am. You just nearly got yourself caught out didn’t you?”
“How do you know?”
“Lucky guess. No it’s because you look as though you have seen a ghost and for the last half hour so did he. Anyway we are going to The Loft now. I better catch them up they think I’ve nipped to the loo.”
“Okay I’ll see you in a bit.”
“Yeah see you.”

Part Eight
The others arrived at The Loft, but waited for Katie before going in. The Loft it appeared was to be celebrating the New Year in style. Warren had hired pole and lap dancers, both male and female and he had opened a cocktail bar, which was proving popular with the already drunk clientele, who to John-Paul’s disappointment happened to include Sarah, who was already making a fool of herself draped over Rhys Ashworth, she always seemed to when drink was involved. Unfortunately it didn’t take long for Sarah to spot him and despite his best efforts of hiding behind Katie and Justin on the dance floor Sarah managed to make her way over to him, albeit slowly as she was hardly walking a straight line.

“John…John-Paul long time no see.”
“Hey Sarah are you okay?”
“Okay…why shouldn’t I be okay? In fact I am great.”
“That’s nice. Do you and Rhys want to join us?”
“Yeah why not! A fresh start for a New Year, right?”
“Right!”
“I can’t believe you just did that.”
“Neither can I. But by the time they both get back over here the countdown will be over the pace she is walking at and she won’t have a clue she was nice to me tomorrow.”
“Why what time is it?”
“It is…time”
“Right Folks. Here goes, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

Fireworks started and Champaign flowed, but despite bringing in the New Year with hundreds of people John-Paul felt so lonely.
“I might call it a night Katie; I have sleep to catch up on.”
The voice that answered definitely didn’t belong to Katie, but he could only dare to hope it belonged to the person it sounded like.
“You can’t leave now. I have something to ask you.”

He turned to face the one person he had longed to see in the last four months. The one person he had struggled and fought not to contact. He looked deep into his eyes, those pools of chocolate and he began to cry, he could see Katie hovering just over his left shoulder, her arms round Justin and tears welling in her eyes, but she gave him the thumbs up sign.

“And what could you possibly have to ask me Craig Dean?”
“Kiss me.”
“Here, but there are people watching.”
“John-Paul McQueen I love you and only you, so let them watch.”

Their lips met in a passionate kiss very similar to their first one at the Dance Off, their tongues once more exploring each others mouths bringing the memories to reality. The celebrations happening around them melted into nothingness as they disappeared into their own world, together at last and completely in love. No one was going to come between them again.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:14 pm 
Guilty but insane
Guilty but insane

Awwww JP and Craig :heart: I miss them!

Board index » THE HOLLYOAKS FORUM » HOLLYOAKS - FAN FICTION