Post subject: Guitar or Drums?
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:22 pm 
Guilty!
Guilty!

Okay so iv been offered the chance to learn to play

DRUMS
or
GUITAR

And i have no idea which to take, so i need help and if you guys could help me, that would be great!
:)

x

Newt <3
Darren <3
Justin <3
Ravi <3
Kris <3

Post subject: Re: Guitar or Drums?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:32 pm 
Staff Team
Staff Team

Drums look the more fun suggestion but I voted guitar. Both are quite cool.

Post subject: Re: Guitar or Drums?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:42 pm 
Guilty!
Guilty!

Good job, I wish I'd started learning at your age but then it’s never too late either. On the one hand okay guitarists seem to be everywhere but a good drummer is a rare and glorious commodity. Drummers also get far more exercise than most musicians and it’s much more readily accessible because there’s no real need to build up your music theory before you can start to sound really good. You’re also developing a sense of rhythm that will serve you well whatever instrument you may take up as well in the future.

That said, the amount of space a drum kit takes up might be an issue for you, they’re not especially portable, you’ll have to put up with some terrible jokes and there’s not really such a thing as quiet drumming unless you go for one of those electric drumpads with a headphone socket.

Guitar-wise, are you thinking acoustic or electric? I was advised to start out with an acoustic guitar so naturally went and bought a strat copy and a practice amplifier. I’m guessing you’re looking at a rock kind of guitar rather than an archtop or such like. Whatever you go for, be sure to buy an electronic tuner as well. With the guitar option you get to learn a bit of musical theory and it’s an easier instrument to own.

It isn’t that difficult to go from the guitar to any other fretted instrument and there’s a whole range of particular skills and styles you can choose from to concentrate on. Very best of luck with your instruction and remember me when you’re playing the Albert Hall :up: .

Board index » Off Topic » MUSIC CHAT