Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off Topic » MUSIC CHAT

Post subject: The Classic Rock Thread
 Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:31 pm 
Guilty!
Guilty!

In case anyone here likes classic rock as well as me.

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:49 pm 
Guilty but insane
Guilty but insane

YES! I LOVE classic rock! Do you ever listen to "Planet Rock" radio station? It's bloody great! What sort of things are you into??

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:23 pm 
Guilty!
Guilty!

Great :up: !

I have listened to Planet Rock - I must admit I didn't know it existed until Brian May mentioned he was campaigning to save it in an interview - but tend to listen more to Rock Radio from Manchester. I'm right on the edge of the coverage area, which means reception can be a bit hit and miss, but the programming is top drawer. AC/DC to Zeppelin, as the saying goes.

I enjoy most music that falls under the umbrella of "rock", probably erring more towards the melodic than the manic. I play a bit of guitar so Clapton, Floyd, Dire Straits, Queen and the like are favourites.

How about you iscreamloud?

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:36 am 
Guilty but insane
Guilty but insane

What sort of guitar do you play? I play a little bass myself and drums, purely only for fun though!!!

Regarding music, well I love Clapton of course, I'm a massive fan of Cream! I managed to meet Jack Bruce earlyier in the year which was pretty amazing! I saw him and Ginger play in Sheppards Bush...A.MAZ.ING...

The Doors are my favourite band, also love Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Beach Boys, Frank Zappa...I could go on lol

So who have you managed to see live??

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:11 pm 
Guilty!
Guilty!

I've got a black /maple MiM Strat at the moment, which bears a passing similarity to Gilmour's legendary Black Strat (r)
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/fender-launches-david-gilmour-black-strat-166779
but was about eight times cheaper. Been playing for a few years, just for fun like yourself.

Live music is something of a hoodoo thing for me - I was scheduled to see Mark Knopfler before he fell off his Honda and EC's last local tour date clashed with a pre-booked holiday. I discovered Dire Straits just as I started secondary school (how time does fly!) and a few months after they turned out their last studio album.

All of the live acts I've seen have been locals or tribute bands, Aussie Pink Floyd being the best by a clear margin, I think. Plenty of performance DVDs in the rack (I recommend Concert for George above all else, if you ever see it in HMV), but there you go.

With the credit crunch on now it's likely to be as close as I'll get for a while at least.

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:01 pm 
Guilty but insane
Guilty but insane

Ah man, that sucks you missed him!

I've seen a few classic rock gig...The Doors (without Jim lol), The Who a few times, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, New York Dolls, MC5, Robert Plant, Buddy Guy, Brian Wilson, Motorhead, Sex Pistols...gonna see Neil Young this year at Glastonbury!!!

Yay to Bob Dylan being number one in the charts!! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:51 pm 
Guilty!
Guilty!

Really impressive range of gigs under your belt there!

Hope the weather holds for you at Glastonbury. I like Neil Young, sometimes under-rated as a guitarist, the chords and fills on Needle and the Damage Done are brilliant. Really honest and heartfelt vocal style too.

Hooray indeed for Bob: simply the greatest songwriter of his generation and probably ever. He's hinted he might be collaborating with Macca next http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/may/07/bob-dylan-paul-mccartney

Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:28 pm 
Guilty but insane
Guilty but insane

Telepractice wrote:
Really impressive range of gigs under your belt there!

Hope the weather holds for you at Glastonbury. I like Neil Young, sometimes under-rated as a guitarist, the chords and fills on Needle and the Damage Done are brilliant. Really honest and heartfelt vocal style too.

Hooray indeed for Bob: simply the greatest songwriter of his generation and probably ever. He's hinted he might be collaborating with Macca next http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/may/07/bob-dylan-paul-mccartney

I read that about Bob and Paul. That would be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board index » Off Topic » MUSIC CHAT